theRoot has a very interesting article about the rise of the Black Hipster or “Blipster”, as they are called. This is a trend that can be found in every major urban area on the East Coast and probably out West too. I was Canada last month and they have them there too! If you’re not sure what a Blipster is or whether or not you are one, read the article here or take my short quiz below.
1. Are you black?
2. Do you shop at H&M, Urban Outfitters or American Apparel more than twice a month?
3. Do you drink cheap American beer out of a can?
4. Are your jeans able to comfortably accomodate a wallet, cell phone, mp3 player and a pack of Altoids?
5. Have you been to more than one indie music show in the past three months?
6. Do you currently or plan to own a pair of black plastic-framed glasses?
7. Do you currently or plan to own a pair of Oakley Frogskins or RayBan Wayfarers?
8. Do you hate the word “Hipster” or “Blipster”?
9. Have you been accused of being a “Hipster” or “Blipster” in the past year?
10. Did you own a Kafia (those arabic scarfs) before the debut of Kanye West’s video for “Can’t Tell Me Nothing”?
If you answered yes to 6 out of 10 question then yes you are a Hipster or Blipster. If not, keep trying, you’re almost there!